In the last few hours, the FIQ has made progress in its discussions with the government to ensure the health and safety of healthcare professionals who are in the line of fire in the fight against the Coronavirus.
*** To clarify, the information in the press release is still being discussed with the government at this very moment. None of the measures are currently applicable. ***
Progress has been made regarding the following aspects in particular:
- Preventively reassigning pregnant employees and immunosuppressed people to avoid contact with patients who have or likely have COVID-19;
- Providing necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) for healthcare professionals;
- Providing and maintaining uniforms for healthcare professionals who work with patients who have COVID-19;
- Ensuring healthcare professionals’ remuneration within the context of COVID-19, in compliance with mechanisms of the CNESST and salary insurance;
- Maintaining salary premiums and supplements for healthcare professionals who are asked to move to another institution.
These measures would be applicable throughout the public health emergency.
The FIQ is currently holding intensive discussions with the government regarding other measures directly related to COVID-19, in particular additional remuneration to support healthcare professionals and recognize their role in fighting the virus.
It is crucial that we recognize the essential role healthcare professionals play, especially during this unprecedented crisis. “Our expectations are high and this situation requires urgent action,” said Nancy Bédard, FIQ President.
More details to follow. Visit our website and follow us on social media.