There is a great deal of misinformation out there, and your Negotiating Committee believes that certain statements deserve to be debunked:
Salary offers of 12.7%
Whatever the employer party says, the government’s wage offer is 12.7% over 5 years, plus a one-off lump sum of $1,000. The government is distorting the facts when they allege that their offer is 16.7%, since it includes all sorts of other terms and conditions that often do not apply to many healthcare professionals, depending on the job title, sector of activities, specific shifts.
IT’S CLEARLY INSUFFCIENT!
Definition of overtime
The government wants to review the definition of overtime so that only hours worked beyond the workweek (37.5 hours) are paid as overtime. Part-time healthcare professionals could be asked to work overtime at straight time.
THIS WILL NEVER PASS!
Mobility and flexibility
Publicly, the government talks about the need for more flexibility. According to them, the collective agreements are too rigid. Let’s look at what they are demanding more concretely:
- Being able to reassign you more easily to another unit. Reassignment is already a sore point for healthcare professionals, but they want to make it even easier to use!
- Being able to reassign you to another facility, regardless of your home base.
- Being able to merge units to turn them into mega centres of activities, regardless of the type of care they provide. By merging these units, they want to make it easier to reassign staff.
- Being able to post jobs that include the obligation to stick to an organization of work time, such as 12-hour schedules, rather than letting the employees who work there choose.
- Being able to make you work more than one weekend out of two!
THIS IS NOT WHAT WE CALL AN EMPLOYER OF CHOICE!
Organization of work time
From the beginning, your union has demanded organization of work time so you can, if you want, reduce your number of workdays. The objective: better work-personal life balance and a decent quality of life.
Yet, the government refuses our proposals and instead offers organizations of work that go in the complete opposite direction:
- Allow the Employer to make you work shifts of up to 16 hours, and at straight time!
- Force you to work 12-hour shifts on weekends!
- Force you to use your time off to reduce your work time!
THAT’S THE EMPLOYER’S VISION FOR ATTRACTING AND RETAINING HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS!